In the UK, when hot weather strikes, us Brits like to throw open our windows and enjoy the weather while we can. However, as much as you want to let the fresh air into your home, that’s not all you could be inviting in.
Surrey Police have issued home security advice which residents need to remember, even when desperate to get to that pub garden or the thought of coming back to a stuffy home sounds unappealing.
Luckily, there are some safety measures you can take to protect your home from burglaries in a heatwave.
What Are the Risks?
Giving Thieves Access
When temperatures rise, we often see our windows and doors as a method of controlling the temperature in our home, but it’s important to remember that you’re opening access to people too, especially if leaving ground floor areas unsecured.
Protecting Your Valuables
Opportunistic thieves not only enjoy the sight of an easy access point but if they don’t even have to enter the property, it’s a bonus! If you’re leaving valuable items such as cash, jewellery and smartphones in plain sight, you may find yourself the victim of a burglar who acts on impulse.
Forgetting to Lock Up
While most of us are in the habit of locking our doors each day, it’s not something we automatically think about with our windows. Therefore, in the Spring and Summer months, when we’re leaving our windows open more than usual, it’s easy to forget to fully secure them when leaving our property unattended.
Surrey Police Security Advice
Fortunately, Surrey Police have released some top tips for keeping your home secure. In fact, they state that those without even the most simple security measures are five times more likely to become a victim of burglary.
Here are a few easy actions you can undertake.
- Each time you leave your house, lock all windows and doors, even if just in the garden.
- Hide all keys out of sight and do not place them near your letterbox as a device can be used to hook onto them.
- Install intruder alarms and outside lighting.
- Ask a neighbour you trust to keep an eye on your property.
- Install timer switches to turn on lights if you’re away, ensuring your property looks occupied to anyone who may be looking for a place to target.
- Secure your garden and shed with well-maintained fences, padlocks (don’t forget your side gate!), alarms and by keeping valuable tools and equipment locked away.
- Remove any valuables which are visible from ground floor windows and store high-value items in a professionally-installed safe.
- Join a neighbourhood watch scheme to hear about incidents and safety news in your area.
- Ensure your installed windows and doors are strong and secure.
- If you’re going on holiday, avoid sharing this on social media.
CCTV is also a great deterrent for burglars, but there are certain guidelines you must follow, including the Data Protection Act. This is something a security professional can help you with.
Here at Angel Security, we provide homes and businesses in Ashtead, Cobham, Redhill and other Surrey and London locations with security solutions and advice to help you protect your property. This includes alarms, CCTV and regular servicing. Contact us today for your free quote.